Of course, everyone wants to believe it will never happen to them. But, unfortunately, most everyone will be in a car accident at some point or another while driving. There are certain things you must do when you’re in an accident, do you know all of these items on the list?
Here is a list of just some of the things you have to do when involved in a car accident.
What To Do After a Car Accident
- Stop the car. It doesn’t matter if it was your fault or not. You must stop, even if you hit property.
- Move the car out of traffic.
- Check for injuries. Check your passengers, yourself and then check anyone else involved for injuries. Call an ambulance if necessary.
- Determine where you are. Look for a mile marker or a landmark so that you can explain where you are.
- In California you are not required to call the police, but it is a good idea to do so.
- Give your name, phone number, home address, insurance policy number, auto registration and driver’s license number to the other driver(s). Get the same from them, but in addition, write down information about their car like its color, license plate number, make, model and year.
- Take photos of the people, the cars, injuries and damaged property.
- Cooperate with the police officer and explain only the facts. Do not accept any responsibility or fault, only give the facts of what happened.
- Report the car accident to your insurance company as soon as it is easy to do so.
- Get medical treatment, if there is any chance that you were seriously injured, such as banging your head or being tossed around in the car.
- Within 10 days report the accident to the DMV if anyone was injured or if there was $1000 or more in property damage. Here is the form to report the car accident to the DMV. Safe travels!